Manual InstallationAlternate MethodOther installation guides
Edited by Sean Hickey, Tom Viren, Jack Herrick, Ben Rubenstein and 28 others
Install all the software needed to run a PHP + MySQL enabled web server on your Windows PC. This is great for testing your web pages and PHP scripts on your local machine before uploading them to your web server. You can manually install every application separately or you can download a software package called Xampp (or another: "WAMP Server"), an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. It is really very easy to install and to use - just download, extract and start. All software mentioned in this article is free and available through the website listed in the external links section at the bottom of the page. Also, because some of the files come in Zip format, you might need an unzipping program like WinZip or WinRar.
EditMethod 1 of 3: Manual Installation
1Download the Apache HTTPD Web Server from the Apache website listed in the external links. Be sure to download the latest stable Win32 Binary version of Apache with the MSI Installer. If that doesn't work, you can also look at the archives (also listed in the external links) for the latest version. To know which file that is, look for files prefixed with "httpd-", next to this should be the version of Apache HTTPD, and after the version is the Operating System and the type of file (I.E.: "-win32-src.zip").
2Download the latest stable PHP Windows Binaries with installer.
3Download the latest stable Windows (x86) version (way at the bottom of the page), which includes a Windows Installer, of the MySQL Database Server.
4Download the phpMyAdmin Database Manager file (phpMyAdmin-2.6.2-pl1.zip).
5Install the Apache Web Server.
6Install the MySQL Database Server.
7Install the PHP Engine.
EditMethod 2 of 3: Alternate Method
1Download the full package of Xampp that contains everything. It also has a control panel, to admin everything. This is quite small and thus useful for putting on a thumb drive or something to keep scripts with you on the go. Helpful for developing at multiple terminals and with an odd schedule.
3Also consider WITSuite EasyInstaller (WITSuite installation video:http://www.witsuite.com/products/installer/), in just a few clicks you will get Apache, MySQL, PHP installed and configured on your computer.
EditMethod 3 of 3: Other installation guides
- If all these instructions are still hard to do, download and install appserv. This program contains all you need to easily setup these programs in a Windows NT/2000/XP PC. Another download that contains everything in an easy setup is EasyPHP, but it might not contain the latest version of every program.
- Save the files in an easy to locate place, such as the desktop, so you can find them quickly.
- Depending on your needs, you may consider installing a Linux distribution, some of which have made the installation of this software very easy.
- When the instructions tell you to find a line in one of the .ini files, you can use Notepad's find feature by clicking on "Edit">"Find", and typing in the line you were told to find. This should take you to the line.
- In the file "C:\Server\apache2\conf\httpd.conf" change the line "DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var" to "DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var index.php" so that index.php files will be sent to the browser by default if no file name is specified.