1Perform research on the Internet for the various options available for building a website and choose the one that is best for your experience level. Some are simple while others are geared more to experienced website creators.
2Find a website hosting source. Many Internet providers provide free hosting space to their customers, but there are other free and inexpensive website hosts available.
- Consider the amount of space the hosting source offers. Basic, non-flash enhanced websites can require up to 100 megabytes. Highly animated websites require much more.
- Check out some of their hosted sites for loading speed.
- Determine whether they offer 24/7 support for their clients.
3Create your website. It is not necessary to create the entire site before uploading. You can add pages or change them as your site grows.
4Download a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) application. These programs are used to upload information to servers.
- Check with your web host to make sure that they support FTP.
5Install the FTP application. Follow the on-screen instructions.
- You may need to get information from your web host, such as the FTP name needed. They may also have specifics as to where and how to save your website files.
6Connect to your web server using your FTP application. Enter the user name and password and server information provided by your web host. If you are uncertain about this information, contact your web host.
7Open the FTP client on your computer. Some FTP programs will display 2 windows, which is called FTP transfer. Some will require you to use an upload feature, which is called FTP upload.
- For FTP transfer programs, select the files from your computer containing the website pages. Click and drag the files from the window containing your computer's files to a similar folder in the other window displaying the files on the web server.
- For FTP upload programs, the left pane will contain the files on your computer. The right pane is a view of the server. Create a folder in the right pane for your website pages. Click on the appropriate files in the left pane and click the upload button. If the program does not have an upload button, right click on the file and click upload.
8Check to ensure that all files have loaded properly through your web browser. If not, you may need to repeat FTP transfer or upload process.
- Be sure to download your website creation tool and the FTP application from a reputable source. There are various sites that rate these applications on the Internet.
- Do a little research before downloading an FTP application. Internet forums and blogs can provide good information on the best programs and their ease of use.
- Many FTP programs have tutorials showing you how to upload your site through the program.